The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. To know more about them, read this. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe here, and all the previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. Also, do consider enrolling to our mock tests!
- General Bipin Rawat has taken over as the new Chief of the Army Staff from General Dalbir Singh. Air Chief Marshal Birender Singh Dhanoa took over as the 25th Chief of the Air Staff.
- Anil Baijal was sworn in as the new Lieutenant-Governor of Delhi after the resignation of his predecessor, Najeeb Jung, in the presence of several dignitaries including National Security Adviser Ajit Doval.
- The BJP formed a government in Arunachal Pradesh after 33 MLAs of People’s Party of Arunachal joined it. The People’s Party of Arunachal is led by Chief Minister Pema Khandu.
- V.K. Sasikala, close aide of late Chief Minister Jayalalithaa, took over as the general secretary of the AIADMK party in Tamil Nadu.
- Shankar Balasubramanian, an Indian-origin British professor of chemistry and DNA expert at Cambridge University, has received a Knighthood. Andy Murray and Mo Farah were also knighted by Queen Elizabeth II for their contributions. Mr. Balasubramanian has been recognised for his work as a co-inventor of Next Generation DNA sequencing.
- Statistics provided by the official database of the National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA) show that the death toll of wild tigers in the country touched 97 in 2016, the highest among the annual death figures of the big cat during the past five years.
- India’s strategic ballistic missile, Agni-IV, will be flight-tested from a road-mobile launcher on the Abdul Kalam Island (earlier called Wheeler Island), off Damra village on the Odisha coast tomorrow.
- R. Ashwin and Ravindra Jadeja remained at the top two positions in the ICC Test bowlers rankings, while the National team ended the year as the numero uno side in the latest list issued by the ICC.
- China has announced that it was banning all commerce in ivory by the end of 2017. The move would shut down the world’s largest ivory market and could deal a critical blow to the practice of elephant poaching in Africa. Wildlife researchers estimate that 50-70 per cent of all smuggled elephant ivory — maybe even more — ends up in China, where there are countless ivory workshops and showrooms.
- Justice Mian Saqib Nisar took the oath of office as Pakistan’s 25th Chief Justice. Justice Nisar, 62, replaced Justice Anwar Zaheer Jamali, who retired after superannuation.
CG wishes ya’ll a super happy new year. We hope to see some of you in Justice City this year, but that means you’d better consider some serious CLAT prep and start doing those weekend mock tests. We’re always happy to help, shoot us a mail at email@example.com 🙂