The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. To know more about them, read this. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. You can thank Aparajita Kaul in the comments below for this brief!
- Indian Space Research Organisation is going to launch the Earth Observation satellite Cartosat-2 series and 30 nano-satellites using Polar Satellite Launch Vehicles. 29 of the nano-satellites will be of foreign origin from 14 countries as part of the commercial agreements between ISRO’s commercial arm, the Antrix Corporation Ltd and the respective countries.
- As part of India and Portugal’s agreement to cooperate in the field of archives, the Torre do Tombo (National Archives of Portugal) has given digital copies of 62 volumes of the collection known as ‘Moncoes do Reino’ (Monsoon correspondence) to the National Archives of India. The collection has direct correspondence from Lisbon to Goa from 1568 to 1914.
- Anil Ambani owned Reliance Defence Ammunition has entered into a partnership with Serbia’s state-run Yugoimport to manufacture ammunition in India. Proposal involved transfer of technology by the original equipment manufacturers and indigenous manufacturing in India.
- NASA’s Kepler Telescope has identified 10 Earth-like planets outside the solar system that are expected to host life due to their ideal size and temperature. These new planets are part of the 219 planets identified by the Kepler telescope as part of the final batch of planets since Kepler was launched in 2009.
- Taj Mahal Palace Hotel in Mumbai has acquired an image trademark under the Trademark Act of 1999 making it the first building in the country to acquire intellectual property rights protection for its architectural design. So from now on, the image of Taj Mahal Palace hotel’s dome and exterior can be used only with the consent of Taj Mahal Palaces Resorts Safaris.
- Ministry of State for Power, Coal, New and Renewable Energy and Mines has launched the Energy Conservation Building Code 2017 which has been developed with technical support from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID).
- India has become the 71st nation to join the United Nations Transport Internationaux Routiers Convention in order to integrate Indian economy with global and regional production networks through better connectivity. The TIR is managed by the International Road Transport Union.
- Lockheed Martin and TATA Advanced Systems have signed a pact to produce F-16 fighter planes in India.