The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. To know more about them, read this. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. Also, check out our mock tests!
- Prime Minister Modi launches the Pradhanmantri Grameen Awas Yojana for rural poor in Agra which would provide affordable houses to those living below poverty line by 2022.
- CVR Rajendran has been appointed as the new Managing Director and CEO of Catholic Syrian Bank. He is currently the CEO of the Association of Mutual Funds of India. The Catholic Syrian Bank Limited (CSB) is an Indian private sector bank with its headquarters at Thrissur, Kerala, India. It is one of the oldest banks in India. The bank has a network of over 430 branches and more than 240 ATMs across India.
- Over 100 passengers killed and more than 200 injured when 14 coaches of the Indore-Patna Express derailed in Kanpur on Sunday. The accident has been attributed to a rail fracture.
- Rajeev Chandrasekar, an independent Rajya Sabha member introduced a private member’s bill to declare Pakistan a terrorist state. Reason behind this bill is to emphasize the need for India to take a strong stand against the alleged actions by Pakistan.
- The Supreme Court Collegium has refused the government’s rejection of 43 names of the 77 it has chosen for judicial appointments in High Courts.
- World’s first heart transplant doctor, Denton Cooley, passed away in the United States.
- India and Cyprus signed a new double tax avoidance pact under which capital gains tax will be levied on sale of shares on investments made after April 1, 2017.
- World’s first Bollywood theme park ‘Bollywood Parks’ opened in Dubai.
- India has been elected as the Vice Chair for 2018 and Chair for 2019 of KPCS. Kimberley Process Certification Scheme (KPCS) is the process established in 2003 to prevent “conflict diamonds” from entering the mainstream rough diamond market by United Nations General Assembly Resolution 55/56 following recommendations in the Fowler Report.
- PV Sindhu wins her maiden Super Series Premier Title after beating China’s Sun Yu in the finals of China Open Badminton tournament in Fuzhou, China.
- Ravichandran Ashwin becomes the first bowler ever to take 50 complete wickets in two consecutive calendar years after his 5-wicket haul against England in the Visakhapatnam test.
- United Nations Universal Children’s Day celebrated on 20th November. It was first celebrated in 1954 with the aim of promoting international togetherness awareness among children worldwide. On 20th November, 1959 the UN General Assembly adopted the Declaration of the Rights of the Child and in 1989 they adopted the Convention on the Rights of the Child.