The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. To know more about them, read this. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. You can thank Aparajita Kaul in the comments below for this brief!
- China has launched a research project aimed at compiling historical data obtained during earlier expeditions conducted by its teams to the disputed South China Sea. The other countries that claim the various territories in South china Sea are Taiwan, Indonesia, Vietnam, Philippines, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei.
- Mohammed Bin Salman, the son of Saudi Arabia’s king has been named the crown prince and heir to the throne, replacing the King’s nephew, Mohammed bin Nayef. The crown prince will now become the kingdom’s deputy prime minister as well as retaining his position of defence minister.
- Union Minister for Urban Development, Venkaiah Naidu, launched India’s largest municipal bond programme to incorporate the Pune Municipal Corporation in the list of BSE (Bombay Stock Exchange). It is the first mobilization of debt capital by a municipal corporation on the BSE BOND platform. Municipality bonds can be issued by the city corporations to fund developmental projects.
- The United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres appointed Vladimir Voronkov from Russia as the Chief of the newly established UN Counter-Terrorism Centre (UNCCT). His rank is that of an Under Secretary General.
- United Nations released the World Population Prospectus: The Revision which states that India with its 3 billion population will surpass China’s population of 1.4 billion by 2024 to become the world’s most populous country. UN also expects the world population to reach 9.8 billion by 2050.
- Under the Swacch Bharat Mission Gramin, rural Uttarakhand and Haryana have been declared as the 4th and 5th Open Defecation Free States of India. Sikkim, Himachal Pradesh and Kerala have already been declared to be open defecation free. The Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM) was launched in October 2014 to achieve universal sanitation coverage and to put focus on sanitation.
- The Indian Railways has launched Operation Swarn to improve services in premium trains like Rajdhani and Shatabdi.
- Indore is now the first city in India to use a robot to control traffic.
- China has launched the world’s first train that operated on a virtual track using sensor technology.
- Qatar Airways has been announced as the World’s Best Airline at the SKYTRAX 2017 World Airline Awards.