The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here.
- The list of World’s 100 Most Influential People in Climate Policy for 2019 has been released by Apolitical, a peer to peer learning platform for governments. Indians who appeared in the list are Union Minister for Railways and Coal Piyush Goyal, Union Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change Dr Harsh Vardhan, Pune Mayor Mukta Tilak, Executive director of Integrated Research and Action for Development Jyoti Kirit Parikh, Well-renowned environmentalists Sunita Narain, Vandana Shiva, Director general of the International Solar Alliance, Upendra Tripathi and Co-founder and Executive Director, Sunrise Movement, Varshini Prakash.
- World Down Syndrome Day was celebrated on March 21 with the theme of the 2019 World Down Syndrome Day is “Leave no one behind”. Since 2012, the day is being celebrated by UN to increase global awareness about the syndrome. The syndrome which is a genetic disorder has been named after British doctor John Langdon Down who fully described the syndrome in 1866.
- International Day of Forests 2019 was observed on March 21st with the theme ‘Forests and Education: Learn to Love Forests’ to raise awareness on how sustainably managed forests provide a wide array of contributions. March 21st was established as International Day of Forests by the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) on November 28, 2012 and was first celebrated in 2013.
- The International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination 2019 was observed on March 21st with the theme Mitigating and countering rising nationalist populism and extreme supremacist ideologies. On March 21st, 1960 police opened fire and killed 69 people at a peaceful demonstration against the apartheid “pass laws” in Sharpeville, South Africa. The UNGA in 1966 proclaimed March 21st as International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination to fight against all forms of racial intolerance.
- The Indian Air Force for the first time will participate in Langkawi International Maritime Aero Expo, LIMA 2019 in Langkawi, Malaysia from March 26-30, 2019. This will provide an opportunity to air-warriors to interact with their Royal Malaysian Air Force counterparts and foster close relationship between the two services. This will also serve as a foundation for any future interaction with the Malaysian Air Force.
- The World Water Day was observed across the globe on March 22, 2019 with the theme ‘Leaving no one behind’ to emphasise on the importance of freshwater and advocate for the sustainable management of freshwater resources. The United Nations General Assembly designated March 22, 1993 as the first World Water Day.
- President Ram Nath Kovind will visit Croatia, Bolivia and Chile from 25th March to 2nd of April. Mr. Kovind in his first visit to Croatia is scheduled to meet his Croatian counterpart and Prime Minister of Croatia and discuss the issues of mutual interest. President’s visit to these three countries will further strengthen India’s bilateral relations with them
Check out the CLATGyan Test Series 2019 : 30 Simulated Online Tests + Personal Mentor | Run entirely by the students of NALSAR University of Law.