The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. To know more about them, read this. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. You can thank Aparajita Kaul in the comments below for this brief!
- UNESCO’s report has concluded that cutting down emission and delivering the Paris Climate agreement to be the only way out to save coral reefs the world over. This report studied the impact of climate change on 29 world Heritage-listed coral reefs. Coral reefs are referred to as the rainforests of the oceans.
- India and Russia have inked a roadmap to boost bilateral defence cooperation during the 17th India-Russia intergovernmental commission on military-technical cooperation held at Moscow. The meeting was co-chaired by Defence Minister Arun Jaitley and his Russian counterpart General Shoygu.
- PM Modi has started his 3 nation visit with Lisbon,Portugal as the first stop. After Portugal, he will depart for the US capital, Washington DC. In the last leg of the tour, Mr. Modi will visit the
- Venkaiah Naidu, Urban Development Minister, has launched India’s first liveability index that will rank the country’s 116 major cities on the basis of quality of life like education, healthcare, mobility, pollution etc.
- West Bengal’s Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has received the highest prize in United Nations Public Service Award for the state government’s Kanyashree Prakalpa (Girl Child) scheme in the Hague, Netherlands. The award was given in the Asia-Pacific group for the category “Reaching the Poorest and Most Vulnerable through Inclusive Services and Participation”.
- Employees Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) has signed an MoU with the Housing and Urban Development Corporation (HUDCO) to enable members of its housing scheme to avail subsidy and interest subvention under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY).
- Palbinder Kaur Shergill is the first turbaned Sikh woman to be appointed as Canada’s Supreme Court judge.
- Imran Khawaja has been appointed as the Deputy Chairman of the International Cricket Council. The ICC was founded in 1909 as the Imperial Cricket Conference