The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. To know more about them, read this. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. Also, check out our mock tests!
- Turkey will be chairing the Energy Club of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation in 2017. It is the first non full member country to be the chairman of a club in the organization. SCO is a political, economic and military organization founded in 2001 by China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan. Its headquarters are in Beijing, China.
- Archaeologists in Egypt have excavated a city dating back more than 7,000 years containing houses, pottery etc. It lies by the river Nile.
- South Carolina’s Governor Nikki Haley has been named the US ambassador to the UN by Donald Trump. She is the first non-white female cabinet member in Trump’s administration and is the youngest governor in the US.
- Margaret Hamilton, who wrote the software for the Apollo space missions was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, USA’s highest civilian honour. She was one of the 21 people awarded this year.
- China has successfully launched its 4th data satellite, Tianlian I-04. The satellite was launched on a Long March-3C carrier rocket from the Xichang Satellite Launch Centre in southwest Sichuan province.
- The Indian government appointed Yudhvir Singh Malik as the new Chairman of the National Highways Authority of India. He was earlier the special secretary in Niti Ayog. NHAI overlooks the National Highways Development Project.
- The 13th World Robot Olympiad will be held in India for the first time. The theme for this year if ‘Rap the Scrap’ which is aligned with the Swachh Bharat Mission. It will be organized from 25th November.
- Zee Group has bought Reliance capital’s 100% stake in television broadcasting business and 49% of its radio business.
- Consultancy group Goldman Sachs as forecast a deceleration in India’s GDP growth to 6.8% due to demonetisation. The shortage of liquid assets is a major constraint on domestic economic activity.
- The National Bank of Agriculture and Rural Development has been asked to sanction Rs. 21,000 crore to district cooperate banks with an aim to fund the crop loan demands of small and marginal farmers.