The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here.
- Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath on November 20, 2018 launched Women Empowerment Resolution Campaign to develop leadership capacities in women and make them vocal for their rights. Issues like education, self-employment, health, sanitation and nutrition will be included under this campaign. For the operation of the programs, an 11-member team will be formed at each district and block level of states.
- As part of 550th birth anniversary celebrations of Guru Nanak Dev, which falls in 2019, Prime Minister Narendra Modi chaired Union Cabinet has approved building and development of Kartarpur Corridor from Dera Baba Nanak in Gurdaspur district of Punjab to international border with Pakistan. Kartarpur is located in Shakargarh in Narowal district of Punjab province of Pakistan. Kartarpur corridor will facilitate pilgrims from India who visit Gurdwara Darbar Sahib, Kartarpur, on the banks of the Ravi River in Pakistan every year. It was first proposed by then PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee in 1999.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid foundation stone of City Gas Distribution (CGD) Projects of Union Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas in 65 Geographical Areas (GAs) in 129 districts under 9th CGD bidding round. He also launched 10th CGD Bidding Round in 50 GAs spread over 124 districts in 14 states. The development of CGD networks across India is focused to increase availability of cleaner cooking fuel such as PNG and transportation fuel (CNG) to all the citizens of the country.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi chaired Cabinet Committee of Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved continuation of nine sub-schemes of umbrella scheme “Atmosphere & Climate Research-Modelling Observing Systems & Services (ACROSS)” during 2017-2020. The scheme aims at improving skill of weather and climate forecast through sustained observations, intensive Research & Development.
- Union Cabinet under the Chairmanship of Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved the setting up of a medical college in Silvassa of Dadar and Nagar. The construction of this medical college will be done till 2019-20 and in accordance with the guidelines of the Medical Council of India and Central Health and Family Welfare Ministry. An amount of Rs. 189 crores has been fixed for its construction.
- The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on November 22, 2018 approved the Allied and Healthcare Professions Bill, 2018 for regulation and standardisation of education and services by allied and healthcare professionals. The Bill provides for setting up of an Allied and Healthcare Council of India and corresponding state allied and healthcare councils, which will play the role of a standard-setter and facilitator for professions of allied and healthcare.
- While inaugurating 2nd Edition of India Gold and Jewellery Summit in New Delhi Commerce and Industry Minister Suresh Prabhu announced that the government on November 23, 2018 has decided to set up domestic Gold council in India to promote the growth of the sector and boost exports of jewellery. The gold council will have representations from all stakeholders including artisans, traders, miners and purifiers. The country’s gems and jewellery exports contracted by 8% to about $32.72 billion in 2017-18 owing to demand slowdown in US and other major markets.
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development has linked the sexual harassment complaints portal ‘She-Box’ with all the Central Ministries, Departments and 653 districts across 33 states and union territories. SHe-Box is an online portal, which has been created by the WCD Ministry to report complaints of sexual harassment at the workplace. Once a case is reported on the portal, it will go directly to the concerned central and state authority having jurisdiction to take action in the matter, in order to enable prompt disposal of complaints.
- Indian singer Nahid Afrin of Assam has been appointed as the first ‘Youth Advocate’ of the north-eastern region by the UNICEF to fight for child rights. The UNICEF engages ‘Youth Advocates’ to harness their voice as agents of change in society. Nahid made her playback debut in the 2016 Bollywood film ‘Akira’ starring Sonakshi Sinha in the lead. She received the best female playback singer award at the Assam state Film Award 2018.
- Chief Justice of Madras High Court VK Tahilramani administered the oath of Justice Vineet Kothari as a judge of the Madras High Court in Chennai on November 23, 2018. With Justice Kothari taking oath, the number of judges in the Madras High Court has gone up to 61 as against the sanctioned strength of 75. Prior to his transfer, Kothari was a judge in the Karnataka High Court. He had previously been a judge in the Rajasthan High Court for 11 years.
Check out the CLATGyan Test Series 2019 : 30 Simulated Online Tests + Personal Mentor | Run entirely by the students of NALSAR University of Law.