The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. To know more about them, read this. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. Also, check out our mock tests!
- The Union Cabinet has given its approval for signing of new Air Services Agreement (ASA) between India and Fiji. The Agreement updates the existing ASA between the two countries which was signed in January, 1974. Under new ASA, both countries shall be entitled to designate one or more airline. These airlines shall have the right to establish offices in the other country for promotion and sale of air services.
- The Union Cabinet approved a revised Double Tax Avoidance Agreement (DTAA) between India and Cyprus. The revised DTAA provides for source-based taxation of capital gains on transfer of shares instead of one based on residence.
- Wrestler Sakshi Malik has been named as Haryana’s brand ambassador for the Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao (save daughter, educate daughter) campaign in Haryana. Sakshi created history by becoming the first woman from India to win an Olympic medal in wrestling.
- India and South Africa have signed an MoU to establish cooperation in Grassroots Innovation. The MoU was signed in pursuance to the Inter-Government Agreement between two countries for cooperation in Science & Technology in July, 2016 at Pretoria, South Africa.
- A huge quantity of secret data regarding the Indian Scorpene submarine has been leaked. The data pertained to the the combat and stealth capabilities of the soon-to-be-inducted submarine. The Navy has said that the leak was from outside India.
- Jagdish Chaturvedi, a Bangalore based doctor, has been recognised as one of the ‘35 Innovators Under 35’ by the MIT Technology Review for 2016 under the humanitarian category. Dr. Chaturvedi won the recognition for his work in developing low-cost tools for ENT and related fields. The prototype of his first device, a portable ENT endoscopy device which could be fitted on a camera for imaging, cost less than a fifth of the product available in the market.
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is set to conduct an air-breathing propulsion experiment using its RH-560 rocket, on August 28 from Sriharikota. The announcement was made by ISRO Chairman, A.S. Kiran Kumar.
- A powerful 6.7 magnitude earthquake struck several parts of Bihar, Odisha, Assam, West Bengal and Tripura. Tremors were felt in several parts of north India, including Gurgaon and Haryana. Another powerful quake also struck a remote village in Italy, leaving at least 120 people dead.