The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. To know more about them, read this. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. You can thank Sayan Bhattacharya in the comments below for this brief!
- In a first ever bilateral visit by an Indian Prime Minister to Portugal, India and Portugal signed 11 pacts after in-depth talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Portuguese counterpart Antonio Costa in areas like counter-terrorism, space and climate studies.
- Indian shuttler Kidambi Srikanth notched up his second successive Super Series title with a stunning straight-game triumph over reigning Olympic champion Chen Long in the Australian Open summit clash in Sydney on Sunday.
- At least 150 people were charred to death and over 117 others injured after an oil tanker overturned and burst into flames on a highway in Bahawalpur district of Pakistan’s Punjab Province.
- Turkey’s President on Sunday rejected a demand by major Arab states to remove Turkish troops from Qatar, saying their sweeping list of ultimatums has threatened the small Gulf country’s sovereignty.
- 18 time Grand Slam Champion Roger Federer clinched a record ninth Halle Open title on Sunday, crushing last year’s finalist Alexander Zverev 6-1 6-3 to lay down a marker in the lead-up to Wimbledon.
- An ASSOCHAM report stated that with India littering its waste without sufficient treatment, it needs to set aside about 88 sq. km of precious land – the size of New Delhi – for landfills by 2050. With around 50%of India’s population projected to be living in urban areas by 2050, the volume of waste generation will grow by five per cent per year.
- The Karnataka government’s Department of Skill Development, Entrepreneurship and Livelihood (SDEL) has decided to provide training to 10,000 domestic workers this year in different cities. Training would be provided for up-scaling skills of workers, enhancing skills in housekeeping, awareness about work safety, and social security schemes such as provident fund, ESI.
- Petra Kvitova beat Australian Ashleigh Barty 4-6, 6-3, 6-2 to win the Aegon Classic in Birmingham on Sunday, in just her second tournament since returning from a knife attack injury.