The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. You can thank Aparajita Kaul in the comments below for this brief! Also, check out our test series!
- In the July World Economic Outlook Update by the International Monetary Fund, India’s projected GDP growth is at 7.2% for 2017-18, up from 7.1% in the last year.
- The Union Cabinet led by Prime Minister Modi has apprised Joint Declaration of Intent. The JDI was concluded in May 2017 during the fourth Inter-Governmental Consultations between India and Germany in Berlin. This JDI plans on promoting German and Indian cooperation on fundamental and applied scientific research.
- The Parliament has passed The Collection of Statistics Bill, 2008 that expedites the collection of statistics related to social, economic, demographic and environmental aspects by Union, State and local governments.
- Under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana, the Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Development has approved the construction of 30,000 affordable houses in Maharashtra’s Sholapur district for the urban poor on private land. It is the first project to be done on private land under this scheme.
- Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has resigned from his post after submitting his resignation to Governor Keshri Nath Tripathi. He is planning on joining the BJP now.
- The 18th Anniversary of Kargil Vijay Diwas was celebrated across India. This day celebrates the success of Operation Vijay and recognises the sacrifice of Indian soldier during the 1999 War with Pakistan.
- Reliance Defence and Engineering Limited launched the first 2 Naval Offshore Patrol Vessels- Shachi and Shruti at the shipyard in Pipavav, Gujarat. They are the first warships to be launched by a private sector shipyard in India.
- E. Mammen, a freedom fighter, passed away in Neyyantinkara, Kerala. He was a pacifist and a follower of MK Gandhi.