The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. To know more about them, read this. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. You can thank Aparajita Kaul in the comments below for this brief!
- The World Bank has cleared a USD 250-million loan to aid the Skill India mission by creating the Skill India Mission Operation which is set to increase the market relevance of short-term skill development programmes (3-12 months or up to 600 hours). SIMO will be a 6 year programme in support of National Policy for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship.
- NASA’s Mars rover Opportunity has found rocks at the edge of Endeavour Crater that might have been a lake of liquid water. The rover has been investigating since 2011.
- Human Resource Development Ministry has constituted a new 9-member panel headed by space scientist K Kasturirangan to frame a new National Education Policy.
- Srinivas Gokulnath, an Army doctor from Nashik, has become the first Indian to complete the 4,900-km Race Across America (RAAM) in the solo 18-59 age category. RAAM is considered to be the toughest cycle race in the world.
- Indian shooters Yashaswini Singh Deswal and Anish Bhanwala has won gold in the Women’s 10m Air Pistol and Men’s 25m Standard Pistol competition respectively in the junior world rifle/pistol Championship held in Germany.
- Manushi Chillar from Haryana is the 54th Femina Miss India World 2017.
- Bhumika Sharma has won the title of Miss World in bodybuilding championship.
- 26th June is celebrated as the International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking after a resolution was passed by the UN General Assembly in 1987. The theme for 2017 is “Listen first- Listening to children and youth is the first step to help them grow healthy and safe.”