The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. To know more about them, read this. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. Also, check out our mock tests!
- India and Palestine signed a MoU to set up Palestine-India Techno Park at Ramallah in Palestine.
- Saur Sujala Yojana launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in Chattisgarh. This scheme provides solar powered irrigation pumps to farmers at subsidized price and Chattisgarh is the first state to implement this.
- Benami Transactions (Prohibition) Amendment Act, 2016 comes into force. Person indulging in such transactions would now may face upto 7 years’ imprisonment and fine, furnishing false information is punishable by 5 years’ imprisonment and Benami property can be confiscated by government without compensation.
- Kerala is now the 3rd Open Defecation free state. The first two were Sikkim and Himachal Pradesh. This is a part of the Swachh Bharat Mission launched in October 2014.
- 100% raise given to Members of Parliament from Rs. 50,000 to Rs. 1,00,000 per month.
- China Railway Rolling Stock Corporation announces plans to build world’s fastest commercial train which would be able to travel at 600 kmph. The current operational fastest train called the Shanghai Maglev can travel at 430 kmph.
- In South Korea, President Park Geun Hye appoints Kim Byong-joon as the new Prime Minister and Yim Jong-yong as the new Finance Minister
- TRAI doubles the minimum broadband speed to 512kbps.
- Hockey India renews Roelant Oltman’s contract as the team’s coach till 2020.