The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here.
- Punjab National Bank (PNB’s) managing director and chief executive, Sunil Mehta was elected as new chairman of Indian Banks Association (IBA) for year 2018-19. Bank of India’s managing director and chief executive Dina Bandhu Mohapatra was elected as the deputy chairman. Madhav Nair, country head and chief executive, Mashreqbank PSC, was elected as Honorary Secretary of IBA for 2018-19, State Bank of India’s chairman, Rajnish Kumar, and Federal Bank’s managing director, Shyam Srinivasan, will continue as deputy chairmen of IBA. Indian Bank’s Association (IBA) is an association of Indian banks and financial institutions. It was established on September 26, 1946.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi along with Nepal PM K P Sharma Oli inaugurated 400-bed Nepal-Bharat Maitri Pashupati Dharamshala in Kathmandu, capital of Nepal. They handed over this dharamshala to Pashupati Area Development Trust. Nepal-Bharat Maitri Pashupati Dharamshala is rest house for pilgrims in Kathmandu, built with Indian assistance. It is located on banks of Bagmati River. The Pashupatinath temple complex was inscribed on UNESCO World Heritage Sites’s list in 1979 as a cultural heritage site.
- India and Nepal have signed MoU to build strategic railway line connecting Raxaul city in Bihar, India to Kathmandu, capital of Nepal. It is expected to expand connectivity by enhancing people-to-people linkages and bulk movement of goods between both countries. It will help to promote economic growth and development in the region.
- Mumbai-based eminent neurosurgeon Dr B.K. Misra was named for prestigious Dr B.C. Roy National Award for year 2018 as Eminent Medical Person of the Year. It is highest medical honour of India and will be bestowed upon him by President Ram Nath Kovind in July 1, 2019 on the occasion of National Doctors Day. During his medical career, he has several firsts to his credit, including image guided aneurysm microsurgery, first doctor in South Asia to perform gamma knife radio surgery and first in country to perform awake craniotomy for brain tumours.
- India and Pakistan have agreed to undertake Indus Waters Treaty 1960 mandated tours by their water commissioners in Indus basin on both sides to resolve issues on various hydroelectric projects in Jammu and Kashmir. This was decided in recently concluded high-level bilateral talks on Indus Waters Treaty in Lahore, Pakistan. Indus Waters Treaty (IWT) is water-distribution treaty between India and Pakistan which was brokered by World Bank (then the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development). It deals with sharing of water of Indus water system having six rivers — Beas, Ravi, Sutlej, Indus, Chenab and Jhelum between the two countries.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) at Talkatora Stadium in New Delhi. The objective of IPPB is to build the most accessible, affordable and trusted bank for the common man, spearhead the financial inclusion agenda by removing the barriers for the unbanked and reduce the opportunity cost for the under banked populace through assisted doorstep banking. It will help significantly expand the reach of the banking sector in India.
- The National Mission on Government e Marketplace (GeM) will be launched on September 5, 2018. The platform offers online, end to end solution for procurement of commonly used goods and services for all central government departments and state governments, public sector units and affiliated bodies. The main aim of the mission is to promote inclusiveness, transparency and efficiency in public procurement and achieve cashless, contactless and paperless transaction.
- The Union Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas Dharmendra Pradhan on August 27, 2018 launched an online portal to enable easy, efficient and transparent booking of common carrier capacity for natural gas transmission services under GAIL’s pipelines. The portal will be the first step to facilitate gas trading on a hub or exchange-traded platform in India.
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi will launch the second phase of the FAME India scheme on September 7, 2018. The scheme offers incentives for mass adoption of electric vehicles with an outlay of Rs 5,500 crore. The Prime Minister will unveil the scheme at the inaugural session of ‘MOVE’ – the global mobility summit, which will be organised in New Delhi from September 7-8. The main aim of the scheme is to promote green vehicles and check pollution.
Asian Games 2018:
- The Indian men’s hockey team defeated eight-time Asian Games champions Pakistan 2-1 to clinch bronze, a record 15th medal in men’s hockey at the Asian Games. Earlier Indian women’s hockey team won silver at the Asian Games 2018.
- India’s 22-year-old boxer Amit Panghal defeated 2016 Olympic Champion Hasanboy Dusmatov in the men’s 49kg final to bag gold at the Asian Games 2018. He had won silver earlier at the Commonwealth Games earlier this year and a bronze at Asian championships last year.
- Pranab Bardhan (60) and Shibnath Sarkar (56) clinched the gold medal in the Bridge men’s pair event. India scored 384 points in the finals, ahead of China’s Lixin Yang and Gang Chen, who scored 378 points. This is the first time Bridge has been included at the Asiad. Earlier, India had won two bronze medals in the men’s and mixed team events of Bridge.
- The Indian contingent bagged a total of 69 medals, including 15 gold, 24 silver and 30 bronze, the Asian Games 2018, their best-ever medal tally in the history of the quadrennial event. India’s previous best medal haul at the Games came in 2010, when the contingent clinched 65 medals, including 14 gold, 17 silver and 34 bronze.
Check out the CLATGyan Test Series 2019 : 30 Simulated Online Tests + Personal Mentor | Run entirely by the students of NALSAR University of Law.