The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. To know more about them, read this. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe here, and all the previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. Also, do consider enrolling to our mock tests!
- NASA’s Juno spacecraft is on its way to reach the farthest point in the orbit of Jupiter, five years after it was launched from Earth. Jupiter’s orbit is nearly 8.1 million kilometres from the planet and is known as “apojove”.
- The world’s first maternity clinic specifically for rape survivors has been opened at the Royal London Hospital in London. Pavan Amara, the founder of My Body Back project which helps victims who have experienced sexual violence, is an Indian origin woman who felt the need for such a service after sexually assaulted women had traumatic flashback during maternity tests and labour.
- United States officials have confirmed the first local cases of Zika virus transmission through infected mosquitoes in the Florida State.
- The Ministry of External Affairs of India is monitoring the welfare as well as organising food for hundreds of Indian workers who had been laid off by Saudi Oger Ltd, a Saudi infrastructure company based in Jeddah. The company is Lebanese-owned and was once the most successful construction companies of West Asia before the oil prices fell which resulted in causing immense economic damage to the Saudi economy.
- According to the data released by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, India is facing a 10% shortage in blood requirement for the year 2015-2016. India requires nearly 1.2 crore units per annum and the availability of blood is skewed state-wise as well with Delhi having a surplus of 233% in available blood units and Bihar facing a stark 85% shortage.
- The Bihar government has gone back on its decision to ban the sale and consumption of toddy, a day after the State’s Excise and Prohibition Minister had told the media that there would be a prohibition on toddy the same way as liquor is prohibited in the State.
- Poet-lyricist Gulzar launched the screenplays of Munshi Premchand’s classics Godan and Nirmala which are a part of a 26-episode TV series.
- Mahmood Farooqui, the co-director of the critically acclaimed film Peepli Live was found guilty of raping an American research scholar at his residence in New Delhi in 2015. He was accused of rape (Section 376) and destruction of evidence (Section 201) at the time of the charge-sheet filing but the latter charge was dropped when the court framed the charges.
- Anurag Kashyap‘s film Psycho Raman won the Best Asian Genre Film at the 20th Bucheon International Fantastic Film Festival (BIFAN) in South Korea. The movie is a psychological thriller and is based on the notorious serial killer in Mumbai from the 1960s.