The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here.
- Croatia’s midfielder Luka Modrich (33) has won prestigious honor of football, Ballon d’Or. He was rewarded for his key role in Croatia’s historic run to FIFA World Cup final (defeated by France) and his club Real Madrid’s third straight Champions League trophy. With this, he ended the tenure of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo for almost decade. Messi and Ronaldo have won this award since 2008. FIFA Ballon d’Or Award is annual football association award given by FIFA to the male player. It was instituted in 2010 after France Football’s Ballon d’Or and the men’s FIFA World Player of the Year award were merged.
- Union Government has included Gangotri and Yamunotri in Uttrarakhand, Amarkantak in Madhya Pradesh and Parasnath in Jharkhand under Pilgrimage Rejuvenation and Spiritual, Heritage Augmentation Drive (PRASAD) to develop pilgrimage and heritage destinations in the country. With the new additions, the number of sites under PRASAD has now reached to 41 in 25 states. PRASAD Scheme was launched in 2014-15 by Union Ministry of Tourism.
- Scientists have discovered cache over 100 new exoplanets using data from NASA’s Kepler Space telescope (KST) as well as ground-based observatories. Exoplanet also called as extrasolar planet, is planet that orbits star other than Sun. The discovery of 100 new exoplanets is expected to play large role in developing research field of exoplanets and life in universe. KST is an unmanned space observatory launched in 2009 by NASA.
- The World Soil Day was observed across the world on December 5, 2018 to highlight the importance of healthy soil and advocate for the sustainable management of soil resources with the theme ‘Be the Solution to Soil Pollution’. In December 2013 the UN General Assembly designated December 5, 2014 as the first official World Soil Day.
- India and the Republic of Peru on December 5, 2018 signed an agreement for co-operation and mutual assistance in customs matters. The agreement was signed on the sidelines of the 80th Session of the Policy Commission meeting of the World Customs Organisations (WCO) which was held in Mumbai during December 3-5, 2018.
- The 12th session of the India-UAE Joint Commission Meeting (JCM) for Economic and Technical Cooperation was held on December 3-4, 2018 in Abu Dhabi, the United Arab Emirates. During JCM, India and the UAE signed two agreements, one pact on currency swap and an MoU for development cooperation in Africa.
- Qatar’s Energy Minister Saad Sherida al-Kaabi on December 3, 2018 announced that the country will withdraw from the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) in January 2019. Qatar is the first Gulf country to leave the OPEC, the bloc of 15 oil-producing countries that account for a significant percentage of the world’s oil production. Qatar joined OPEC in 1961, one year after its establishment.
- The National Rail Museum (NRM) of the Railways Ministry signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Madame Tussauds Wax Museum to foster tourism in Delhi NCR region. NRM offers railway history, heritage, nostalgia, games and children activity at one place. In 2017, Madame Tussauds opened its 23rd Wax museum in Connaught Place (CP), New Delhi. This is the first wax museum in India of Madame Tussauds.
Check out the CLATGyan Test Series 2019 : 30 Simulated Online Tests + Personal Mentor | Run entirely by the students of NALSAR University of Law.