The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. To know more about them, read this. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe here, and all the previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. Also, check out our mock tests!
- Dipa Karmarkar from Tripura has become the first Indian woman to make the cut for the individual vault finals in her debut Olympic Games. She finished 8th in the qualifying round.
- Devendra Fadnavis, Chief Minister of Maharashtra, has been chosen for the 2016 Nag Bhushan Award that is conferred by Nagpur-based Non-Governmental Organization Nag Bhushan Foundation.
- The Odisha government has launched a special assistance scheme for elderly weavers that was launched to mark National Handlooms Day. The scheme is known as the ‘Baristha Bunakar Sahayata Yojana’.
- Union Minister of Urban Development M.Venkaiah Naidu has launched the Swachh Suvekshan-2017 project to assess and rank 500 cities based on levels of sanitation and efforts made by respective urban local bodies.
- T.K.V. Desikachar, a renowned Yoga teacher and son of Indian yoga master T.Krishnamacharya , has passed away in Chennai. T. Krishnamacharya is popularly known as the ‘father of modern Yoga‘. Mr. Desikachar formulated the system of teaching yoga by drawing stick figures to convey various postures.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched the Mission Bhagiratha in Telangana. This mission seeks to provide safe drinking water to all. He also laid the foundation stone for five infrastructure projects.
- The Telangana State Government has launched a unique Water Resources Information System to assess accurate reserves of water in thousands of Tanks and reservoirs across the state.
- 2nd National Handloom Day was observed across the country on 7 August 2016 with the main ceremony being held at Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh. On this occasion, Sant Kabir Awards and National Handloom Awards were presented. The date August 7 was chosen as on this day in 1905 the Swadeshi Movement was formally launched, at a massive meeting in the Calcutta Town hall. The movement involved revival of domestic products and production processes.
- Kerala Congress (M) has decided to sever its ties after 35 years, with the United Democratic Front (UDF). The party which has two MPs, one in Lok Sabha and another in Rajya Sabha, will extend issue-based support to the United Progressive Alliance (UPA).
- Grandmaster and former world junior champion Abhijeet Gupta has retained the Commonwealth Chess championship crown in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- A Gurudwara in Bidar, Guru Nanak Jhira, plans to take up afforestation and rainwater harvesting to protect the eponymous mountain stream that runs through it. The stream born in the laterite mountain along the Manjra valley comes out as ‘Amrut Kund‘ on the Gurudwara premises.
- Thailand voted to approve a new Constitution drawn up by the ruling junta. Sunday’s referendum was the first time Thais have been able to go to the polls since Army chief-turned-Prime Minister Prayut Chan-O-Cha toppled the elected government of Yingluck Shinawatra in 2014. This new Constitution will be the kingdom’s 20th one.