This is just a very cynical and in some parts imaginary take on law school-ites. It is not meant to dissuade anyone from taking up law as a career neither does it reflect on the culture of any particular law school or Indian NLUs in general.
This is just a post to take a dig at ourselves and remind ourselves that we have not lost our sense of humour still.
“Wit is a sword; it is meant to make people feel the point as well as see it.”
Some indicators of your becoming a ‘pucca’ law school-ite:
1. You are a grammar Nazi and stickler for correct use of the language which is the only one the Bard of Avon knew, who sadly knew none of Latin and little of Greek. (And you know what this means).
2. You use per se, res ipsa loquitor and ipso facto as if they are regular usage in anyone’s vocabulary.
3. You refer to judges and legal luminaries as if they own the cigarette shop outside your law school.
4. You have very high ideals and are seriously interested in international law but still swear by two words: Amarchand Mangaldas.
5. You have perfected the art of jugaad and have all the gyan that a junior needs on internships.
6. You have some 1286 ideas of how to reform your law school but desperately need that nap after classes and thus could never bring in those changes.
7. Mooting sounds as sexy as an orgasm.
8. You start a website or a blawg every other month and these ‘start ups’ fizzle away into oblivion when your end semesters approach.
9. You have a model CV and cover letter for internship application from a senior saved in your hard disk.
10. Each time you memorise a weird sounding case name you wonder why only people with weird names had to file cases.
11. Your idea of the world is wide, very wide. It includes: CGPA Internship CGPA Internship CGPA Internship CGPA Internship CGPA Internship CGPA Internship CGPA Internship.
12. You frequently curse the idea of law school and think the Indian NLU model is as far removed from a law school as it can be.
13. You have an idea about every law firm and their work environments and shall choose accordingly. Exceptions being: Amarchand, Luthra, Trilegal, AZB, Khaitan, JSA, etc. (the whole list actually).
14. You write original research papers for every semester by changing the title of the project you got from your friend from XNLU.
15. You love your parents. They spent so much for you to be in “X (put in the name of any foreign university) of the East”. You will make them proud. One day…..Some day.