This is to people who mail me asking this:
“Hlo aymn, Im doin epw, hindu, toi, outluk, fntline, lst spplements, sriram spplments, ims modules, cg mdules, pd, csr, csc, n few oder buks,lyk pearsons, universal, lexis nexis shd it b enuf????????????”
Overkill. What are you going to write? A subjective paper of 200 marks – all on GK? No. GK comes for 50 marks. F-I-F-T-Y. Meaning that, while these fifty are important, they aren’t the world.
Here’s the bottom line: Clutter your table, and drop a year. Keep it simple, and save two.
So, here’s what you have to do for General Knowledge:
- Spend time with one newspaper. The Hindu, preferably. Read the editorials, and everything. Take interest.
- One magazine – choose whatever appeals to you, Frontline or Outlook , that is what we recommend. The Economic and Political Weekly is a very good source. But do it only if you can bear it.
- One monthly magazine – Pratiyogita Darpan, ’nuff said.
- Supplements – one of the most important sources. Don’t go out of the way to get them. But if you get them somewhere, lay your hands on them.
- Lexis Nexis is the only book that you should look at. Others are all boring, long and a BIG pains in strange places.
These are the important sources that you should follow. Of course, this is the basic area that you should look at. But follow the other article for a more detailed thingy on GK prep. Here are a few other things that you should remember:
- Aim for a Law School. Not Law entrances.
- You get all “geared up” and buy all sorts of reference books and waste your parents’ hard earned (or otherwise) money. Not really worth it. Keep it limited, keep it simple.
- Stay aware of what’s going on.
- Take interest. Don’t “study”, instead “learn”.
- Enjoy the process. Don’t make it monotonous. You can never mug-up and vomit.
- They say that curiosity killed the cat. They lie. Stay curious.
- January 2009 is irrelevant. Trust me. Don’t be such a moron to get yourself newspapers of the last year.
- If GK is boring. Apply for Symbi’s B.A/ B. Com courses, have fun!
- If it gets too boring. Do some logic and reasoning or listen to some music or whatever. But get back to GK.
- All of us are ignorant. But ignorance is like diabetes – you can only fight it, not overcome it. But fight, you have to. Else, you lose a lot.
- Reading 6784894 reference books will not improve your chances of getting to NALSAR, or any decently reputed Law School for that matter. But reading one good reference book, and reading it well, will.
- The CG supplements aren’t put up there because the editors were jobless and needed to have fun. They’re there for a reason. Guess?
- When you don’t know something, which is often. Google. If you fail, use the Ask Us page.
- Do you listen to Guns N Roses? The song, “Civil War”, which event made the songwriters write the song? Or “Winds of Change” by The Scorpions. Do you know the event that is shown in the video? You might do a hundred things, but stay curious, you’ll learn a lot
- If you are forgetting what the capital of Saudi Arabia is, while you know that you’ve “memorized it from the module”, time to think of alternative careers (I did this, by the way, BA. Political Science)
I am sorry if I’ve been mean. I’ve had SEVEN emails on the same lines. Please understand, GK is not a monster, at least not a man-eating one.
PS: The rudeness is not intended. No one should take this post personally.