The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. You can thank Zainab Khan in the comments below for this brief! Also, check out our test series!
- Prasoon Joshi, a renowned songwriter-poet, has been appointed as the new Chairman of Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) and will be replacing Pahlaj Nihalani. The CBFC, also known as the Censor Board, is a statutory body under the Union Ministry of Information and Broadcasting and grants certificates to regulate the public exhibition of films in India under the Cinematograph Act, 1952.
- Facebook in collaboration with the Odisha goverment has launched ‘SheMeansBusiness’ programme to train women entrepreneurs in the state. This was launched in partnership with Odisha’s MSME (micro, small and medium enterprises) department and Project Mission Shakti. 25,000 women entrepreneurs and self-help groups members from the state will be given training on digital marketing skills by the end of 2018.
- Multi Commodity Exchange Ltd, commodity derivatives bourse has received the approval of Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) to launch the first gold options contract in India.
- The International Youth Day is observed across the world on 12th August to draw attention to the set of cultural and legal issues pertaining youth. This year’s theme is ‘Youth Building Peace’ and aims at celebrating young people’s contributions in preventing conflicts and bringing about transformations along with social justice, inclusion and sustainable peace.
- A micropropulsion system called a Film-Evaporation MEMS Tunable Array (FEMTA) has been designed and tested by engineers from Purdue University in the USA. This thruster uses liquid water as the propellant for orbital maneuvering of tiny satellites called CubeSats, which have the potential to carry out tasks like imaging and remote-sensing in the future.
- Real Madrid defeated Manchester United to win the 2017 UEFA Super Cup. The Man of the Match was Real Madrid’s Isco.
- NASA’s Curiosity Rover captured stunning shots of Martian clouds over the southern horizon. The clouds resemble Earth’s cirrus clouds which are typically made up of ice water.