The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. You can thank Aparajita Kaul in the comments below for this brief! Also, check out our test series!
- The Union Ministry of Environment and Forest has launched a pan- India campaign called Gaj Yatra to protect elephants on the occasion of World Elephant Day observed on August 12. The Ministry also published the All India Census 2017 Report on elephants and Agreed Points of Action on Trans-Boundary Conservation of Elephants by India and Bangladesh.
- The Second volume of Economic Survey 2016-17 has proposed Transparency of Rules Act (TORA) to end any asymmetry of information regarding rules and regulations faced by an average citizen. TORA will require all government departments to mandatorily place all citizen-friendly rules on their website.
- The Economic Survey 2016-17 Volume II has taken into consideration various challenges faced by the Agriculture sector in India such declining size of the average farms since 1970-71, predominance of informal sources of credit, problems in the horticulture sector like post-harvest losses. It has suggested reforms in the marketing structure, micro irrigation systems, increased quality standards etc.
- Indian Coast Guard Ship (ICGS) Shaurya was commissioned in Vasco, Goa. It is an offshore patrol vessel designed and built indigenously by Goa.
- India’s factory output, measured by the Index of Industrial Production (IIP) has registered negative 0.1% growth in June 2017 primarily due to decrease in output of the manufacturing and capital goods sectors.
- Researchers form CSIR-Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology (CSIR-IGIB) and National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) have developed an ultra-sensitive DNA chip based sensor for quick pathogen detection. The sensor can detect S. pyogenes, a bacterium which causes a wide range of diseases in 30 minutes whereas the conventional method takes 18-24 hours.