The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. You can thank Aparajita Kaul in the comments below for this brief! Also, check out our test series!
- The 22nd World Petroleum Congress International Conference was held in Istanbul, Turkey. Dharmendra Pradhan, Union Mister of State for Petroleum and Natural Gas represented India at the Conference. The theme of the congress was ‘Bridges to our energy future’.
- India has contributed $1 million more to the India-UN development partnership Fund after its initial contribution of $1 million. The fund was launched to support sustainable development projects across the developing world.
- India has been ranked 116 out of 157 countries on the 2017 Sustainable Development Goal Index and Dashboard report released by Sustainable Development Solutions Network and Bertelsmann Stiftung. The ranking is on the basis of countries’ performance in the 17 SDGs. Sweden(1st), Denmark(2nd) and Finland(3rd) topped the list.
- President Pranab Mukherjee has given his assent to the Maharashtra Prohibition of People from Social Boycott (Prevent, Prohibition and Redressal) Bill, 2016. It is the first state to punish social boycott through a law.
- Indian Railways has launched the country’s first solar powered diesel multiple unit (DEMU) broad gauge train. The train will run from Sarai Rohilla in Delhi to Farukh Nagar in Haryana.
- Aarthi Subramanian has been appointed as TATA Group’s chief digital officer.
- For the first time, India will be host of the International Theatre Olympics (8th edition). The 51 day carnival will commence on February 17, 2018.
- Indian astronomers have identified extremely large supercluster of galaxies which has been named Saraswati.