The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. You can thank Sayan Bhattacharya in the comments below for this brief! Also, check out our test series!
- A defence expenditure bill was recently passed by the United States House of Representatives worth $621.5 billion in order to defence cooperation with India. The house passed an amendment to National Defense Authorisation Act (NDAA), India related amendment in the bill was adopted by a voice vote in the House by 344-81. Now, NDAA needs to be passed by the US Senate before it can be sent to US President Donald Trump to sign into law. The NDAA 2017 had earlier designated India as a major defence partner of the United States.
- Twenty one year old Sundar Singh Gurjar won gold medal in the men’s javelin throw event at World Para Athletics Championships held in London, United Kingdom. In the F46 category, Sundar recorded his personal best effort of 60.36m ahead of Dinesh Priyantha Herath (Sri Lanka) and Guo Chunliang (China).
- In a Customer Satisfaction Index Survey(CSI) Survey, Raipur’s Swami Vivekananda Airport ranked first amongst 49 other airports. It was followed by Udaipur and Amritsar respectively in the survey.
- India and European Union (EU) have established Investment Facilitation Mechanism (IFM) for EU Investments in India. The mechanism will allow for a close coordination between EU and India with an aim to promote and facilitate EU investment in India. It comes with an objective to solve main problems faced by European investors in India.
- India has topped in the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development’s (OECD) Government at a Glance 2017 report. It states that Narendra Modi led NDA coalition has secured 73% trust of people, highest in the world. OECD’s Government at a Glance report presents an index of countries that trust their governments the most.
- World Youth Skills Day is observed every year on the 15th of July to raise awareness about youth skills and awareness. The theme for 2017 is “Skills for All”. On the occasion, United Nations along with WorldSkills.org have organised campaigns #SkillsForAll and #WYSD.