The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. You can thank Sayan Bhattacharya in the comments below for this brief! Also, check out our test series!
- SOHUM, a low cost hearing screening device for newborns was recently launched by Union Ministry of Science and Technology. It has been invented by School of International Biodesign (SIB) startup Sohum Innovation Labs India Pvt Ltd under Department of Biotechnology (DBT) supported (SIB). It is a low cost portable device which uses brain-stem auditory evoked response, a best screening choice.
- Malaria Elimination Plan(2017-2022) was recently unveiled by Union Ministry of Family and Health Welfare. Malaria elimination deadline has been set at 2027, three years ahead of the global deadline. The NSP is based on 2016 National Framework for Malaria Elimination framed with support of WHO’s Global Technical Strategy for Malaria, 2016-2030.
- Super-stretchy and strong artificial (synthetic) spider silk, almost entirely composed of water has been invented by scientists of University of Cambridge. The synthetic spider silk mimics properties of spider silk, one of nature’s strongest materials for a range of applications such as making eco-friendly textiles and sensors.
- Scientists from the Geological Survey of India (GSI) have discovered the presence of millions of tonnes of precious metals and minerals deep under the waters within the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) of peninsular India. Scientists from the Geological Survey of India (GSI) have discovered the presence of millions of tonnes of precious metals and minerals deep under the waters within the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) of peninsular India.
- For the first time three infrastructure proposals to address the infrastructure problem has been given by the Union Government under the Trade Infrastructure for Export Scheme (TIES). These three proposals include Integrated Cargo Terminal (ICT) at the Imphal International Airport, Modernisation of infrastructure facility for marine exports in Karnataka and construction of a new ‘Standard Design Factory’ building at Cochin Special Economic Zone (SEZ).
- The Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) has notified regulations for inspection and investigation of service providers registered with it. Under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (IBC) implemented by IBBI, service providers are insolvency professional agencies, entities, professionals and information utilities.
- Roger Federer of Switzerland won the 2017 Wimbledon title in the men’s single category. In the final match he defeated Marin Cilic of Croatia by 6-3, 6-1, 6-4 score. It was Federer’s record eighth Wimbledon title and overall 19th Grand Slam. With this victory, 36-year old Federer also became Wimbledon’s oldest champion, succeeding Arthur Ashe, who was 32 when he won in 1976.
- India’s Harinder Pal Sandhu (28) won his 9th PSA level title by winning the Victorian Open squash tournament held in Melbourne, Australia. In the final he defeated Rex Hedrick of Australia by 12-14, 11-3, 11-4 score.