The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. You can thank Aparajita Kaul in the comments below for this brief! Also, check out our test series!
- United Kingdom’s first woman Sikh MP, Preet Kaur Gill, has been elected to Home Affairs Select Committee in the UK Parliament.
- Smriti Irani has been given the Information and Broadcasting portfolio by PM Modi and Narendra Singh Tomar will be handling the Urban Development Ministry after M Venkaiah Naidu resigned from his ministerial responsibilities. He is the government’s nominee for the position of Vice President.
- The National Strategic Place for Malaria elimination (2017-22) has been launched based on last year’s National Framework for Malaria Elimination which was spurred by World Health Organisation’s Global Technical Strategy for Malaria, 2016-2030.
- State Bank of India has launched SBI Realty, a platform to help home buyers choose flats from its 3,000 approved projects in India, spread across 30 cities.
- TATA Motors launched India’s first Bio-CNG (bio methane) bus at the Urja Utsav, bio-energy programme, organized by the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas.
- Reliance Industries Limited, led by Mukesh Ambani, passed the Rs. 5 lakh crore mark in market capitalization for the first time. TATA Consultancy Service was the first company to hit the Rs. 5 Lakh crore mark in July 2014.
- Scientists from ETH Zurich in Switzerland have developed a 3D printed soft silicone heart that resemble and functions like a human heart. It is the exact biological replica but can help save lives of people suffering from cardiac arrest or when the patient is awaiting a heart transplant.
- 18th July is celebrated as Nelson Mandela International Day. The Nelson Mandela Foundation dedicated this year’s Mandela Day to Action Against Poverty.