The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. You can thank Aparajita Kaul in the comments below for this brief! Also, check out our test series!
- The Union Cabinet approved draft bill of the Central Goods and Services Tax (Extension to Jammu & Kashmir) Ordinance, 2017 and Integrated Goods and Services Tax (Extension to Jammu & Kashmir) Ordinance, 2017. The ordinances extend the provisions of the Central Goods and Services Tax Act, 2017 and Integrated Goods and Services Tax Act, 2017 to Jammu & Kashmir to complete rolling out GST regime the Himalayan State.
- A Memorandum of Cooperation (MOC) in respect of tax matters between India and the BRICS countries namely, Brazil, Russia, China and South Africa have been approved in an Union Cabinet meeting.
- ‘mAadhaar’, a new mobile application for syncing Aadhaar data on mobile phones was launched by Unique Identification Authority of India(UIDAI). The app allows users to carry their unique Aadhaar information including name, date of birth, gender, address, and the linked photograph, on their smartphones. The app also allows users to lock or unlock biometrics data.
- TR Zeliang of the Senior Naga People’s Front(NPF) was sworn in as the 19th chief minister of Nagaland. Earlier Governor had dismissed the Shurhozelie Liezietsu government under Clause (I) of Article 164 of the Constitution after he failed to prove majority on the floor of the Assembly. Prior to it, Zeliang had staked claim to form government in Nagaland with a majority support of 47 members in the 60 member Legislative Assembly.
- According to recent study, underwater ghost nets which are essentially abandoned, lost or dumped fishing nets have emerged as the greatest killers of the marine ecosystem off Kerala coast. These ghost notes may have long-term implications for marine life if no proper correctives are taken to deal with them. It may become major threat to the natural habitat and breeding ground of underwater fish.
- United States Navy successfully tested the world’s first-ever active Laser Weapons System (LaWS). In the test, the LaWS deployed aboard the USS Ponce amphibious transport ship was able to destroy a drone in flight and moving targets on the Persian Gulf. USS Ponce is first ship in the world to be deployed with such advanced weapons system.
- The Supreme Court has allowed the Union Government to replace the oversight committee set up to supervise the functioning of the Medical Council of India (MCI) with a fresh panel of five eminent doctors. The Supreme Court also gave the Government liberty to replace any doctor in the list with another if he does not wish to be a part of the oversight committee.
- The United States has imposed new economic sanctions against Iran over its ballistic missile programme and for contributing to regional tensions. 16 entities and individuals were targeted by the sanctions from Iran citing them as illicit Iranian actors or transnational criminal activity. The sanctions were imposed day after US certified that Iran is complying with the 2015 Nuclear Deal and it will continue to receive nuclear-related sanctions relief. This was the second time, Trump administration certified Iran’s compliance to 2015 Nuclear Deal.