The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. Also, check out our test series!
- The second Landing Craft Utility (LCU) of the Indian Navy – Mark IV L52 ship built by Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Limited, Kolkata, was launched in Kolkata, West Bengal. The vessels are designed for multipurpose amphibious operations jointly carried out by the Indian Navy and the Indian Army to ensure maritime security of Andamans and Lakshadweep Islands.
- Securities and Exhange Board of India (SEBI) has entered into a MoU with the European Securities and Markets Authority (ESMA) for exchanging information relating to Central Counterparties (CCPs) under the European Markets Infrastructure Regulation (EMIR). The CCPs are entities that help facilitate clearing and settlement activities.
- The India-Japan civil nuclear agreement came into force. This deal would help Japan to export nuclear power plant technology as well as provide finance for nuclear power plants in India. It will also assist India in nuclear waste management and could undertake joint manufacture of nuclear power plant components under the Make India initiative.
- India’s first dedicated space observatory AstroSat along with other space and earth-based observatories like Chandra and Hubble Space Telescope have detected a massive coronal explosion on Proxima Centauri, one of sun’s closest star neighbour. The explosion has sent out powerful solar flare having energy of 10-raised-to-30 ergs, about 100 times a typical solar flare.
- Karamjyoti Dalal from India has won the bronze medal at the World Para Athletics Championships 2017 in discus-throw. The other star performers from India at the Championship have been Sundar Singh Gurjar who won gold in men’s javelin throw event and Amit Saroha who won silver in the club throw event. The 2017 World Para Athletics Championships, a biennial Paralympic athletics event, is being held in London, United Kingdom and were first held in 1994 in Berlin, Germany.
- The 200th year celebrations of Paika Rebellion of 1817 were inaugurated by President Pranab Mukherjee. This rebellion predates the 1857 Revolt i.e. first war of independence. According to many historians, the Paika Rebellion of 1817 was India’s first organised rebellion against British Raj.
- The Union Minister for Agriculture Radha Mohan Singh launched the National Dairy Development Board’s (NDDB) quality logo for milk and milk products to signify safe and quality milk and milk products from dairy cooperatives.
- Lord Mervyn Davies was appointed as the Chair of the UK India Business Council (UKIBC) with effect from 1st September. He will be replacing Patricia Hewitt, who was in office for 8 years. UKIBC is the leading market entry advisory and advocacy consultancy focused on the United Kingdom and India trade opportunity.
- Arun Jaitley, the Finance Minister, released the National Trade Facilitation Action Plan. He said that the WTO-Trade Facilitation Agreement (TFA) was a major milestone for the global trading system.
- The Rural Development Ministry announced that it will launch a new scheme Aajeevika Grameen Express Yojana under the Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana – National Rural Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NRLM). The AGEY aims to provide an alternative source of livelihoods to members of Self Help Groups under the DAY-NRLM by facilitating them to operate public transport services in backward rural areas.