The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. You can thank Aparajita Kaul in the comments below for this brief! Also, check out our test series!
- The International Seabed Authority (ISA) in its 23rd session recently held at Kingston, Jamaica has extended India’s exclusive rights to explore polymetallic nodules from seabed in Central Indian Ocean Basin (CIOB).
- The Union Government released the National Sports Awards for this year.
Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award was given to Devendra (Para Athletics) and Sardar Singh (Hockey).
Dronacharya Award was given to Dr. R. Gandhi (Athletics), Heera Nand Kataria (Kabaddi), G.S.S.V. Prasad (Badminton), Brij Bhushan Mohanty (Boxing), P.A. Raphel (Hockey), Sanjoy Chakraverthy (Shooting) and Roshan Lal (wrestling).
Dhyan Chand Award has been given to Bhupender Singh (Athletics), Syed Shahid Hakim (Football), Sumarai Tete (Hockey).
Arjuna Award was given to V.J. Surekha (Archery), Khushbir Kaur (Athletics), Arokia Rajiv (Athletics), Prasanthi Singh (Basketball), LaishramDebendro Singh (Boxing), Cheteshwar Pujara (Cricket), Harmanpreet Kaur (Cricket), OinamBembem Devi (Football), S.S.P. Chawrasia (Golf), S.V. Sunil (Hockey), Jasvir Singh (Kabaddi), P. N. Prakash (Shooting), A. Amalraj (Table Tennis), Saketh Myneni (Tennis), SatyawartKadian (Wrestling), Mariyappan (Para-Athletics) and Varun Singh Bhati (Para-Athletics).
- The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) and Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) have signed a Letter of Intent. The LoI was signed on the sidelines of ongoing ITU-TRAI Asia-Pacific Regulators’ Roundtable jointly organised by the International Telecom Union (ITU) and TRAI in New Delhi.
- The seventeenth Meeting of the Financial Stability and Development Council (FSDC) was held in New Delhi under the Chairmanship of the Union Minister of Finance, Arun Jaitley. It was attended by RBI governor Dr. Urjit R. Patel, and Chairmen of SEBI, IRDAI and other financial sector authorities.
- The Union Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD) launched ‘Swasth Bachche, Swasth Bharat’ Programme. It was launched by Union HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar in Kochi, Kerala. It is an initiative of Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan (KVS) to prepare a physical Health and Fitness Profile Card for more than 12 lakh students.
- Karnataka Government has launched clouding seeding Project Varshadhari in Bengaluru under which an aircraft will spray chemicals to induce rainfall. It will cover Bengaluru, Gadag and Yadgir districts of the state.
- Scientists from US have discovered an inexpensive prevention technique (therapy) against sepsis in new born babies. The team was led by US-settled Indian doctor, Pinaki Panigrahi.