The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. You can thank Aparajita Kaul in the comments below for this brief! Also, check out our test series!
- Iran and Iraq have signed an MoU on military cooperation and fight against terrorism and extremism in the two countries. It includes sharing information and training in this field. This is a change after the war Iraq and Iran fought for 8 years from 1980 to 88 during the rule of Iraqi dictator, Saddam Hussein.
- According to US State Department’s Country Report on terrorism, India had the 3rd highest number of terrorist attacks in 2016, ahead of Pakistan. The Tope 3 countries are Iraq, Afghanistan and India.
- USS Gerald R Ford (CVN 78), the world’s largest nuclear-powered aircraft carrier at Naval Station Norfolk, Virginia has been inducted into the US Navy.
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has approved the sale of the Indian government’s 51.11% stake along with management control in HPCL to ONGC. However, HPCL will still be a PSU after the acquisition.
- H S Prannoy won the 2017 Yonex US Open Grand Gold badminton tournament championship. This is his third grand prix gold in badminton.
- England won the 2017 ICC Women’s World Cup title after defeating India by 9 runs at Lord’s Cricket Ground, London. It was England’s 4th
- ISRO’s former chariman, Udupi Ramachandra Rao passed away in Bengaluru. He played an important role in building India’s satellite programmers from the very first satellite, Aryabhatta.
- Researchers from the San Antonio Catholic University of Murcia, Spain have discovered Novobiocin compound which can be potentially used to fight the Zika Virus infection.