The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. You can thank Sayan Bhattacharya in the comments below for this brief! Also, check out our test series!
- Two commodity exchanges are set to merge to create India’s third biggest commodity exchange. National Multi Commodity Exchange (NMCE), India’s first demutualised online national multi-commodities exchange will merge with Indian Commodity Exchange (ICEX). This is the first merger deal in the commodity exchange space in India. It will offer a wide range of contracts including world’s first diamond futures contract, which has already received in-principle approval from the marker regulator SEBI.
- India successfully test-fired it’s indigenously developed quick reaction surface-to-air short range missile (QR-SAM). The sophisticated missile was test fired from a truck-mounted canister launcher from launch complex-3 at the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur.
- The World Health Organisation has declared the end of the recent Ebola outbreak through Ebola Virus Disease( EVD) in the Democratic Republic of Congo. The recent outbreak in DRC is not connected to the 2014 deadly Ebola outbreak that had worst hit Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone and killed more than 11,300 dead, highest ever since its discovery of virus.
- The world’s sharpest laser with record breaking precision has been discovered by German scientists in Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt (PTB). The precision can be useful in various instruments like atomic clocks, radioastronomy, precision spectroscopy, testing the theory of relativity and carry out new precision measurements on ultracold atoms.
- A Special Rhino Protection Force is going to be raised by the Government of Assam for the better protection of one horned rhinos in the state. The one horned rhino is the largest of Asian rhinos and are listed on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Animals.
- Mahesh Muralidhar Bhagwat, IPS officer from Telangana was conferred with the 2017 Trafficking in Persons (TIP) Report Heroes Award by the Unites States Department of State. He is third IPS officer to get this honour. He was central figure in anti-trafficking operations that have removed hundreds of victims from situations of trafficking.
- Germany won maiden FIFA Confederation Cup Football title by defeating Copa America Champion Chile by 1-0 goals in the final match held at St Petersburg, Russia. Four time FIFA World Cup Winner Germany won the title with the help of a loan goal from Lars Stindl in the first half.