The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. You can thank Aparajita Kaul in the comments below for this brief! Also, check out our test series!
- India was ranked low at 108th position out of 144 countries in Global Gender Gap Index 2017 released as part of World Economic Forum’s (WEF) Global Gender Gap Report 2017. India slipped by 21 places compared to 87th rank last year. Iceland is Rank 1, followed by Norway, Finland, Rawana and Sweden.
- India has offered to share intelligence of maritime movements in the Indian Ocean in real-time with 10 Indian Ocean littoral states. It was announced by Indian Navy Chief Admiral Sunil Lanba at the Goa Maritime Conclave (GMC).
- The Uttar Pradesh State Cabinet has approved Blackbuck Conservation Reserve in trans-Yamuna belt near Allahabad in Meja forest division.
- The Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL), under Ministry of Power in partnership with Global Environment Facility (GEF) has launched Creating and Sustaining Markets for Energy Efficiency project. New technologies of super-efficient ceiling fans, tri-generation technologies & smart grid-applications will be financed for proof testing. Energy efficiency programmes like street lighting, domestic lighting, five-star rated ceiling fans and agricultural pumps will be undertaken.
- Eminent Hindi Litterateur Krishna Sobti (92) was awarded the 53rd Jnanpith Award for the year 2017 for her contribution to Indian literature.
- The Geographical Indication Registry (GIR) has given Geographical Indication (GI) tag traditional Etikoppaka toys (Etikoppaka Bommalu) from Etikoppaka Village, Andhra Pradesh.