The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. You can thank Aparajita Kaul in the comments below for this brief! Also, check out our test series!
- As per Zurich-based Swiss National Bank’s analysis of latest figures, India has gone down to 88th place in terms of money parked by its citizens with Swiss Banks. The money held by Indians now accounts for just 0.04% of total funds kept by all foreign clients in Swiss banks. United Kingdom accounted for the largest share with over 25% of the total foreign money with Swiss banks.
- NASA is developing the first ever mission to deflect a near-Earth asteroid called the Double Asteroid Redirection Test. The target for DART is the asteroid called Didymos that will have a distant approach to Earth in October 2022 and then 2024.
- President Pranab Mukherjee has approved the promulgation of The Prevention of cruelty to Animals (Karnataka Amendment) Ordinance, 2017 by the Governor of Karnataka in pursuance of Article 213 of the Indian Constitution. This ordinance legalizes Kambala, bullock cart races and bull runs as traditional sports involving animals and exempt them from The Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, 1960.
- Vice President Hamid Ansari’s term will come to an end on August 10, 2017 so the Election Commission has issued a notification for the process of filing nominations for the vice presidential election. Vice President’s office is the second highest public office in India.
- The Supreme Court of India has allowed a women, 26 weeks pregnant, to abort her foetus that is suffering from sever cardiac ailments.
- Union Minister of state for Skill and Development and Entrepreneurship Rajeev Pratap Rudi and Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan jointly laid the foundation stone of India’s biggest Global Skill Park in Narela Shankari, Bhopal. The park will be established with the support of Singapore’s Institute of Technical Education and Education Services.
- The Union government of India and Asian Development Bank have signed a $220 million loan agreement for improving connectivity and transport efficiency and safety on State highways of Rajasthan.
- A study on the Sunderbans has shown that from 1986 to 2012, 124.418 sq km or about 5.5% of the mangrove cover of Sunderbans was lost and varying degrees of erosion has been observed in at least 18 islands.