The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. You can thank Aparajita Kaul in the comments below for this brief! Also, check out our test series!
- The International Conference on Climate Change was held in Nepal. It was inaugurated by Nepal President Bidya Devi Bhandari. The title of the conference was ‘Resilient Hindu Kush Himalaya: Developing Solutions towards a Sustainable Future for Asia’.
- The Madhya Pradesh State Assembly has unanimously passed Dand Vidhi (Madhya Pradesh Sanshodhan) Vidheyak, 2017 that will ensure rapists of girls 12 or below are hanged till death. Madhya Pradesh becomes the first state to do this. The bill proposes death penalty or a minimum term of 14-year rigorous imprisonment or life imprisonment till death for raping girls aged 12 or less.
- The 6th International Tourism Mart (ITM) 2017 was held in Guwahati, Assam. It was inaugurated by Assam Governor Jagdish Mukhi, Chief Minister Sarbanan Sonowal and Union Tourism minister K L Alphons.
- Veteran Bollywood actor Shashi Kapoor passed away in Mumbai, Maharashtra reportedly due to kidney failure. He was 79. Padma Bhushan (2011) and Dadasaheb Phalke Award (2015).
- The World Soil Day is celebrated every year on 5th December by Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of United Nations. The Theme for year 2017 is ‘Caring for the Planet starts from the Ground’.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has appointed former CMD of ONGC Dinesh K Sarraf (60) as new Chairman of Petroleum and Natural Gas Regulatory Board (PNGRB). He replaces S Krishnan, who had demitted office in August 2015.
- The Department of Pharmaceuticals (DoP), Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers will constitute a multi-disciplinary committee of experts for consultation on matters pertaining to implementation of drug price control order (DPCO) such as pricing and new launches. Member secretary of National Pharmaceutical Pricing authority (NPPA) is going to be the committee’s convener.
- The first International Exhibition and Conference on AYUSH and Wellness sector- AROGYA 2017 was held in New Delhi. It was inaugurated by AYUSH Minister Shripad Naik. ts theme was ‘Enhancing the global potential of AYUSH’.