The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. You can thank Sayan Bhattacharya in the comments below for this brief! Also, check out our test series!
- Citing various violent activities by unsurgent groups like ULFA, NFDB etc, the Union Home Minsitry declared entire Assam state as a disturbed area under the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act for one more month. The Home Ministry also declared 20 km belt along Meghalaya’s border areas adjoining Assam and three districts in Arunachal Pradesh (Tirap, Changlang and Longding) as disturbed under the AFSPA for two more months.
- Three decade old National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) has been merged with the Bureau of Police Research and Development (BPRD) by the Home ministry. The merger aims at improving administrative efficiency and optimal utilisation of resources for development works related to policing. It will also boost crime data collection and research efforts.
- At the 8th Mekong Ganga Cooperation Ministerial Meeting held in Manila, Philippines India has called for expanding the areas of cooperation among the member countries of the Mekong Ganga Cooperation (MGC) bloc. MGC countries have proposed to add newer areas of cooperation to the traditional areas on tourism, culture, education, transport and communication to further deepen mutually beneficial partnership and cooperation.
- India ranked last at 43rd position in 2017 Global Retirement Index (GRI) published by French asset management company Natixis Global. Top three countries in 2017 GRI are Norway, Switzerland and Iceland.
- The Union Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation has released Swachh Survekshan Gramin 2017, third party survey report to assess the progress Swach Bharat Mission in rural India.
- The National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) and Google India have launched Android Skill Development programme to improve mobile developer ecosystem in the country.