The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. You can thank Sayan Bhattacharya in the comments below for this brief! Also, check out our test series!
- Intelligence wing of Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) was launched recently by Union Ministry of Home Affairs. SSB is paramilitary force that guards India’s borders with Bhutan and Nepal. The intelligence wing will gather actionable information in a bid to enhance operational efficiency.
- Tech Giant Google’s Unified Payments Interface (UPI) based digital payment service Tez (meaning fast in Hindi) was launched by Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley. This marked entry of Google into online payments market of India.
- At the 69th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards ceremony honouring best US prime time television programming was held at the Microsoft Theater in Downtown Los Angeles, California. The Handmaid’s Tale became first web television series to win award for Outstanding Drama Series. HBO’s science fiction western drama Westworld and NBC’s sketch comedy Saturday Night Live were the most nominated programs for awards, each with 22 nominations.
- Interstate multi-purpose Sardar Sarovar Dam (Narmada dam project) at Kevadia, Gujarat was dedicated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi to the nation on occasion of his 67th birthday.
- The 13th edition Yudh Abhyas 2017, a joint bilateral military training exercise between India and United States was held at Joint Base Lewis McChord, Washington, US. In this edition of exercise, armies of both countries honed tactical skills in counter-insurgency and counter-terrorist operations (CICT ops) under UN charter.
- India’s ace shuttler P V Sindhu (World no. 4) won women’s singles title at 2017 Korea Open Super Series badminton tournament by defeating Nozomi Okuhara (World No. 7) of Japan in three sets 22-20, 11-21, 20-18. With this victory, Sindhu became first Indian to win Korea Super Series crown.
- The GST Network (GSTN) has reopened composition scheme window facility for small taxpayers with turnover of up to Rs.75 lakh to opt for composition scheme, which offers easy compliance for business as returns are to be filed only quarterly. he window will be open for those taxpayers who have migrated from earlier excise, service tax or VAT regime as well as for the newly registered taxpayers.