The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. You can thank Sayan Bhattacharya in the comments below for this brief! Also, check out our test series!
- The 48th International Film Festival of India (IFFI) was held in Panaji in Goa. Bollywood actor Amitabh Bachchan was honoured with the Indian film personality of 2017 award while Canadian filmmaker Atom Egoyan was honoured with the lifetime achievement award. The best film award went to French movie 120 Beats Per Minute (French movie) directed by Robin Campullo while the best director award went to Vivian Qu for Angels Wear White (China). The closing ceremony was held at Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Stadium in Bambolim.
- 8th annual Global Entrepreneurship Summit (GES 2017) was innaugurated recently by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and US President Donald Trump’s advisor and daughter Ivanka Trump in Hyderabad, Telangana. The mega event was co-hosted by National Institution for Transforming India (NITI) Aayog and US Government n partnership with Telangana Government.
- Distinguished Indologist Award of the third Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) for the year 2017 was awarded to Professor Hiroshi Marui of Japan. Indology is academic study of history, cultures, languages and literature of India and is a subset of Asian studies.
- Shaktikanta Das, Former Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs (DEA) was appointed by the Union Ministry as India’s G 20 Sherpa till December 31, 2018 for Development Track of G20. Sherpa is personal representative of leaders participating at G-20 summit and are responsible for thrashing out details before meeting of the leaders.
- Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters (22) from South Africa was crowned Miss Universe at pageant held at The AXIS at Planet Hollywood in Las Vegas, Nevada, United States. With this she becomes, second South African to win this crown after Margaret Gardiner who had won Miss Universe 1978. The runner-up of Miss Universe 2017 was Miss Colombia Laura Gonzalez, while second runner-up was Miss Jamaica Davina Bennett.
- Eminent exponent of Gwalior gharana of Hindustani classical music, Pandit Narayanrao Bodas, passed away in Pune, Maharashtra after a brief illness. He was 84. He was revered for his deep voice and expressive face among actor vocalists.